The role of technological knowledge in the pedagogical integration of film in disciplinary teaching at universities
Developing teaching practice
Many university lecturers have integrated feature films and television series (FF/TV) into their lessons to improve student engagement. Although film in teaching might seem like a well-established practice, it is reliant on a range of fast-changing technologies to effectively integrate FF/TV into instruction, learning activities and assessments. This study utilises the Technological Pedagogical and Content Knowledge (TPACK) model to analyse survey and interview data regarding (1) lecturers’ familiarity with a range of concepts and skills related to film production, delivery and integration technologies; (2) their methods of learning about technologies that help optimise their FF/TV use; and (3) their institution’s provision and support in implementing various technologies integral to teaching with FF/TV. A modified framework is proposed to add to the pedagogical benefits of effective teaching with FF/TV at universities.
- This study categorises technologies required for using feature films and television series (FF/TV) into three types: film production technologies, film delivery technologies and film integration technologies
- This study integrates the TPACK framework to analyse lecturers' current levels of access, knowledge and skills about the three technology types in relation to their pedagogical use of FF/TV
- This study proposes an extension to TPACK to illustrate how lecturers’ technological knowledge/skills regarding these three technology types interact with their content and pedagogical knowledge/practice
- This study summarises useful resources proposed by participants
- This study provides recommendations towards raising awareness, encouraging institutional provision and support in assisting the improvement of technological knowledge of lecturers who teach with FF/TV.
Nguyen, N., Guerin, C., Barbieri, W., Palmer, E., & Pugsley, P. (2022). The role of technological knowledge in the pedagogical integration of film in disciplinary teaching at universities. Journal of University Teaching & Learning Practice, 19(3). https://doi.org/#N/A!