Educational institutions, especially the higher education institutions in Asian countries such as Bangladesh and Thailand, have had to stop face-to-face educational activities during the period of COVID-19 pandemic. Online classes have been the only alternative to carry on academic activities. Teachers were suddenly compelled to transition their teaching and learning methodology from a face-to-face to an online model. Employing a quantitative research method, this study identifies factors in teacher’s effective transition for successful online teaching. A total of 68 teachers experienced in higher education in Bangladesh, Thailand, India and Indonesia were interviewed by a structured questionnaire. The instrument was scrutinized and approved by a panel of 5 expert educators in higher educational institutes in both Bangladesh and Thailand. The statistical analysis indicated that professional training, students’ performance evaluation, cheating concerns in exam perceived by teachers, infrastructure difficulties, lack of students’ technological knowhow and difficult online classroom management influenced success in online teaching. A set of inspectional recommendations has been made that might be utilized in policy making by the educational policy makers, institutional authorities and by the practising teachers for designing effective procedures of online teaching and learning.
- Teachers can learn faster and adopt themselves in a new situation when obliged by the professional commitment.
- Institutions need to provide necessary support to the teachers and students in terms of technology and training.
- Concern of students’ cheating in exams as a major obstacle to effective learning is a myth.
- Teachers in Bangladesh and Thailand need to readdress the perception towards online and technology enhanced education.
- All stakeholders of higher education should accept that the teaching methods need to be redesigned in favour of 21st century learners’ learning approach.
Das, R., & Meredith, D. P. (2021). Factors affecting effective online teaching transition in Asian universities during COVID-19. Journal of University Teaching & Learning Practice, 18(8). https://doi.org/10.53761/18.104.22.168