The effect of inflammation management on pH, temperature, and bacterial burden

Publication Name

International Wound Journal


The aim of this feasibility study was to investigate the impact of inflammation management on wound pH, temperature, and bacterial burden, using the principles of TIME and Wound Bed Preparation. A quantitative non-comparative, prospective, descriptive observational design. Following ethical approval, 26 participants with 27 wounds of varying aetiologies were observed twice weekly for 2 weeks. Wounds were treated with cleansing, repeated sharp debridement, and topical cadexomer iodine. Wound pH (pH indicator strips), temperature (infrared camera), bacterial burden (fluorescence imaging) and size (ruler method) was monitored at each visit. The mean age of all participants was 47 years (SD: 20.3 years), and 79% (n = 19) were male, and most wounds were acute (70%; n = 19) and included surgical and trauma wounds, the remaining (30%; n = 8) were chronic and included vascular ulcers and non-healing surgical wounds. Mean wound duration was 53.88 days (SD: 64.49 days). Over the follow up period, pH values ranged from 6 to 8.7, temperature (centre spot) ranged from 28.4°C to 36.4°C and there was an average 39% reduction in wound size. Inflammation management had a positive effect on pH, temperature, bacterial burden, and wound size. This study demonstrated that it was feasible to practice inflammation management using a structured approach to enhance wound outcomes.

Open Access Status

This publication may be available as open access

Funding Number


Funding Sponsor

Irish Research Council



Link to publisher version (DOI)