Screenprint, printed in colour from eight stencils, 86 x 61 cm. University of Wollongong Archives Collection.
Background: With a history dating back to the formation of the Illawarra Art Society in 1951, the establishment of a permanent home for a growing art collection was a culmination of the work of many committed locals. In 1976, steelworks employee Bronius (Bob) Sredersas, a migrant from Lithuania, donated his valuable art collection to the City of Wollongong which gave impetus to obtaining the new, albeit interim, home in the Hughes, Whetton & Reilly building on the corner of Burelli & Keira Streets. The collection of paintings, drawings and antique china became the centrepiece of the new gallery. Despite initial Council reluctance, the Gallery eventually moved to its present home in the old Council Administration Building in 1991. The achievement of Bob Sredersas was recognised at the opening of the new gallery with an exhibition of his collection.
Copyright: Gregor Cullen.