Learning objectives After reading this chapter you should be able to:
- understand and interpret the concept of operations as part of organisational strategy and related analytical perspectives
- understand and interpret the notion of competitive advantage and the nature of generic competitive strategies pursued by organisations
- understand and appreciate the strategic role of the operations function and its contribution to the sustainable competitive advantage of the organisation
- understand and describe the role of competitive priorities in operationalising strategy
- discuss the concept of trade-offs as applied to key decisions and actions regarding the operations structure and infrastructure of an organisation
- demonstrate your ability to apply the conceptual understanding developed as above to support managerial decisions and actions.