Every town has its tales of ghosts. Campbelltown has the famous Fishers Ghost and Wollongong is no exception, even to the point of having a ghost Creek, located at the Western end of Crown Street, near its junction with the Mt Keira Road and the expressway. Unfortunately much of the creek and its associated wooden and stone bridge dating from the 1830's is buried beneath the major roadworks in that area. The adjacent photo is all that is left to remind us of what the original Ghost Creek and bridge looked like. But why Ghost Creek? The answer takes us back to 1836 when that part of Wollongong was known as the Crossroads.