A case of lead poisoning due to snooker chalk
A 3 year, 9 month old child with pica presented with a blood lead concentration of 1.74 μmol/l (360 μg/l). The source of poisoning was snooker chalk (lead content 7200 μg/g). She was treated with intravenous calcium disodium edetate chelation. Thirty months later her blood lead was 0.39 μmol/l (80 μg/l). This case illustrates the need to be vigilant for more unusual causes of lead poisoning in the home.
This record is in the process of being updated. Please contact us for more information.