RIS ID

102394

Publication Details

Buchanan, I. M. (2015). September 17, 2011: Occupy without Counting. In A. Conio (Eds.), Occupy: A People Yet to Come (pp. 191-202). London: Open Humanities Press.

Additional Publication Information

ISBN: 9781785420047

Abstract

The events of September 2011 will probably go down in history in much the same way as the events of May 1968, with no-one being able to decide what, if anything, actually happened.1 Zuccotti Park in New York City briefly flickered in the global consciousness as the spark that threatened to ignite a global revolution, just as the Latin Quarter of Paris had four decades earlier (Buchanan 2008: 7–12). Within a month over 150 Occupy events were taking place all over the world and as one expects these days the movement was even more prominently and diversely represented on the internet. The message the occupiers wanted to relay was both simple and complex. ‘We are the 99%,’ they said: the part that in Rancière’s terms effectively has no part because the other 1% control a profoundly disproportionate share of national – global – wealth (the top 1% in the US have a greater net worth than the bottom 90%), (Rancière 1999: 9). They demanded nothing except to be noticed.

Link to publisher version (URL)

Open Humanities Press

Share

COinS