Scholars from all areas of human-animal studies are welcome to submit an original article to be considered for publication in ASJ. We also accept submissions of creative work and reviews. The author should own the copyright to the work being submitted. It is the responsibility of the author to obtain copyright clearances for images etc if required.General Submission Rules
Submitted articles should not have been published previously, nor be forthcoming in a journal print or electronic. In addition, by submitting material to ASJ the author asserts that the material is not currently under review at another journal electronic or print and that s/he will not submit the material to another journal electronic or print until the completion of the editorial decision process at ASJ. The author agrees that any subsequent publication of the same material will acknowledge its first publication in ASJ.
Length of contributions is generally 4,000–6,000 words for articles, 1000–5000 for creative works and a minimum of 1000 words for reviews up to approx. 3000.
Please submit a brief abstract and keywords.Formatting
- Font: Times New Roman 12 point for body text, titles and footnotes
- Document should be space and a half
- Page numbers: centre numbers at the bottom of the page in Times
- New Roman 12 point and begin with 1
- Separate cover page for the name and contact details of the author, including postal address
- Separate page for abstract (approx. 300 words)
- Single inverted commas for quotes and article titles
- Em dashes: Please ignore MLA style (section 3.2.5) and instead use em dashes with a space before and after eg. – dash –. Mac users should key option dash for the em dash
- No full stop after abbreviations which end with the final letter of the word. Thus bk rather than bk. and vols rather than vols
- Punctuation after quotes: put the quotation mark outside the punctuation mark when it follows a whole sentence. When it follows only part of a sentence or a few words, the quotation mark goes inside
Follow current MLA Handbook – parenthetical documentation and a list of Works Cited. A useful style guide for MLA is available at http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/01Footnote numbering in Arabic File format
Word file authorname.doc or rtf file authorname.rtfImages
Images are welcome and should be supplied separately in .jpg format and fully captioned with permissions notedPronouns: when referring to animals the journal follows the practice of using the pronouns 'he', 'she' etc NOT 'it', etc . Referee process
All submissions will initially be reviewed by the editor and associate editors and if accepted at this first stage will then be sent for double blind peer review.